Culture shock and awe

This morning I decided to get up at 6am and then get on the street by 7 and see if I could locate my laundry. I had a wake-up call at 6 and then woke up again at 7:30, walked over to where I'm working and wandered a bit more and was so drenched in sweat...well, never mind. I did go to the laundry man and he handed my laundry over, nicely, it didn't cost much but one piece wasn't ready. When I checked back later he was napping right there on the ironing board but he was nice enough to give me my dress. I felt bad about waking him up. It was at least 110 by 8:30 and humid.

Yesterday, I was on the elevator going up to the pool and a completely drunk Brit boarded holding a Starbucks cup full of beer (?) and inquired if I planned to skinny dip. As far as I know, he has broken every rule -drinking, carrying alcohol, inappropriate comment to a woman-possible but I felt sort of bad for him. He looked like he got lost on the way to the Costa del Sol where drunk Brits are everywhere. He wandered off the elevator thank god.

So, I've learned a bit more about my phone albeit I keep ringing people by mistake. Last night had a wonderful meal with dear school friends Anne Russell and her husband and some other people-delicious Lebanese food in the souk of the Central Market. Also, went to a great meeting up at a very fancy hotel. I haven't been able to talk to my mom but I did talk to Timo which was nice. Anne said Culture Shock is normal and I don't really know whether it is or not but I seem to spend a great deal of time trying to find things and failing and then forgetting and then starting all over again. Possibly I have merely become really feeble-minded.

I don't know how I feel about Abu Dhabi but I do know that I am learning things about myself and other people that are very interesting and I'm glad I came. I wasn't sure at first. We just received a letter from the condo board that says our new windows won't be in for months so why not live in a sun drenched city in the middle east rather than a dark condo in Chicago? And make some money and have an adventure? I miss my kitty cats and Timo. I keep getting mysterious messages from my new bank that I can't read because this phone bewilders me. They did call and ask where I wanted my bank stuff delivered. I suggested the school and they inquired for landmarks. There are no addresses per se. Possibly my checks will arrive. or not.

Comments

Popular Posts